Support and Probation
You will join us as an academic member of staff with a clear support and development framework to enable you to realise your academic and personal career goals.
Successful completion of your probation plan will lead to confirmation as an Associate Professor.
We will agree clear objectives with you as part of your two stage probation plan. Over the first three years you will typically have an enhanced focus on research but you will also have some engagement with student education from the start.
Your objectives will cover research and student education and, through the cohort training, we will also help you build links to existing staff and other new academic fellows both to further your academic activities and to develop your academic leadership. On completion of your fellowship you will be fully participating in academic life at the University of Leeds and be ready to take on significant leadership roles.
As an indicative example of the objectives for this scheme, at the three year stage you will be able to demonstrate that you have:
- Secured significant funding and at least three new publications in high quality international journals (or equivalent);
- Developed a national profile consistent with being recognised as a specialist in your field;
- Effectively contributed to student education and, where appropriate, acted as an academic tutor;
- Contributed to activities such as recruitment and PGR mentoring where appropriate.
Your achievements by the end of your five year probation will include:
- A sustained record of securing grant funding as appropriate to your discipline and of publications, or equivalent outputs, evidenced as internationally excellent with some world leading;
- Evidence of external recognition as an independent researcher at international level within your research area;
- Module leadership with input into design of teaching, the ability to assess student work and provide constructive feedback and evidence of teaching at a range of levels;
- Demonstrating leadership either to a body of people or an area of work;
- Mentoring and supporting colleagues such as post doctoral research assistants.
If you achieve these objectives earlier you will be confirmed as Associate Professor in less than the five year maximum period.